Mold Cleanup Tips
From time to time, business owners in Boylan Heights, NC, are startled to find they're facing a mold problem. Mold flourishes in moisture, warmth, and darkness, which may make some spaces candidates for mold growth — poorly-ventilated basements or supply and storage rooms, for example.
In dealing with fungus cleanup, several questions are likely top of mind: Should I do the job myself, or bring in professional mold experts? What solutions should I use to clean up mold? What techniques? Here are some rules of thumb:
Do-It-Yourself Mold Cleanup
Consider a DIY cleanup if the moldy area covers fewer than 10 square feet:
- Check for a plumbing or roof leak that's causing mold. Fix the leak and dry the water-damaged area before attempting any cleanup.
- Scour mold off hard surfaces with detergent (vinegar, borax, hydrogen peroxide, ammonia, baking soda) and water.
- Don't use toxic chlorine bleach, which is ineffective on porous surfaces like insulation, drywall, ceiling tiles, and wood. Bleach can't penetrate the deep, extensive root system mold entrenches in porous surfaces.
- Remove any mold-damaged items and cut out and replace moldy areas, such as ceiling tiles.
- Invest in an air filtration system to ensure proper air circulation and control moisture and humidity.
Fungus Cleanup Requiring Professional Remediation
Certain circumstances call for advanced remediation techniques. Bring in the services of mold experts, if:
- The mold covers more than 10 square feet and features large swaths of heavy infestation.
- The heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system appears contaminated (mold is near or on the registers). Turn off the HVAC system to prevent mold from spreading throughout your building.
- The mold damage results from a sewer backup or other contaminated water, such as street flooding.
- After heavy rain or a plumbing leak, you smell mold's distinctive musty odor but can't locate its source.
Mold, if left untreated, can lead to property and structural damage. If an infestation is substantial, the fungus cleanup usually requires mold remediation experts with the training and equipment to safely rid your business of mold at its source.